Research has shown that in ordinary conversation, people use between six and nine metaphors per minute. That’s one every ten to 12 words.
But why are they there? What can they tell us about what people are really thinking and feeling? And how can you start to notice them in everyday conversation, so that you can use them?
As you probably already know, metaphor provides a powerful influencing tool. The greater your facility with metaphor, the greater your persuasive power.
These new insights can be put to use in changing lives for the better; to improve your relationships; to engage in deeper and more constructive conversations; and to help people get better results in their work.
“For anyone wanting to become more perceptive, more expressive, more influential and more persuasive, this will have a profound effect.” Peter Wright, Devon, UK
What am I going to get from this course?
- By the end of the course, you will understand the real relationship between metaphors and the unconscious mind
- You will grasp why paying attention to metaphors can reveal what people are really thinking and feeling
- You’ll find out specifically how to perceive the metaphors that determine what people actually do
- You'll know about four specific types of metaphor which are having a powerful influence on the behaviour of the people you encounter every day
- You'll have a an action plan to develop your metaphor-spotting skills
What is the target audience?
- Anyone who is curious about people and the way they think
- It’s ideal for people who work with people, for example as coaches, therapists, consultants, teachers, managers and trainers
- While it is solidly based in the latest academic research, it is not a heavily theoretical course - more a practical guide
- May be particularly useful to students of NLP who want to go to the next level
Judy Rees has been training and facilitating remotely for more than ten years. She cut her teeth teaching an embodied coaching methodology over the phone: more recently she's run 12-hour worldwide Open Space unconferences via video call.
She's now taught scores of great-in-the-room coaches, facilitator and trainers to take their skills online.
You can learn more on her blog at http://judyrees.co.uk